Date published / updated: 1st February 2013
At Law Plain And Simple Limited ("Law Plain And Simple Limited," "We," "Us", or “Our”), We are committed to ensuring the privacy of Our visitors, members and customers.
Please read the following carefully to understand Our views and practices regarding Your personal information and how We will treat it.
What Is Personal Information?
Personal information is data which relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data (or from the combination of that data and other information in possession of the person in control of that data). Such data must have the living individual as its focus and affect that individual’s privacy in some way. Mere mention of someone’s name in a document no longer comprises personal information in that context, but personal details such as someone’s address, contact details, salary etc. would still fall within the scope of the Data Protection Act 1998.
Examples of personal information include:
- a person's name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, credit card number or other account number, or information about that person's activities when directly linked to that person;
- demographic information, such as date of birth, gender, geographic area, and preferences when such information is linked to other personally identifiable information; and
- any expression of opinion about the individual and any indication of the intentions of any person in respect of that individual.
Personal information does not include "aggregate" information. Aggregate information is data We collect about a category or group of customers, products or services for which individual identities are not present, or from which they have been removed or which cannot be identified with the use of such aggregate data. Aggregate information allows Us to better consider new products and services and tailor existing products and services to needs and desires of prospective customers and members.
Personal Information We Collect
As a visitor to the Site, and a purchaser if You decide to purchase one or more of Our products from the Site, You may provide personal information to Us in several ways.
For example, You may provide Us with personal information when You:
- visit and use Our Site (including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for own billing purposes or otherwise) and the resources that You access;
- register on the Site;
- participate in any of Our customer/user satisfaction surveys, or any other survey administered on the Site;
- participate in any of Our competitions or sponsored promotions;
- fill out any form on the Site (to include, without limitation, any form to request information about Our products, services, or to provide Us with comments or feedback or to order products);
- sign up to receive E-mail alerts; or
- contact Us by email or otherwise for any reason. We collect Your name, contact information (e.g., email address, postal address, and telephone number) and certain employment related information (such as company and the department or speciality in which You work) in this manner.
IP Addresses, Cookies & Web Beacons
Some information is automatically collected from You on the Site about Your computer (such as Your computer's operating system, browser type, and IP address) for system administration and to process aggregate information. This is statistical data about the users' browsing actions and patterns and, on its own, does not identify any individual.
We may combine or link personal information We collect about You with information about Your visits to, usage of and activity on or with the Site.
We may automatically collect information about Your general internet usage through the use of "cookies." Cookies are small files that are stored on Your computer's hard drive by a website to give You a unique identification. Cookies contain information that is transferred to Your computer's hard drive. Cookies enable Us to:
- estimate Our audience size and usage pattern;
- store information about Your preferences, and so allow Us to customise Our site according to Your individual interests;
- speed up Your searches;
- recognise You when You return to the Site; and
- generally improve the Site and to deliver better and more personal services .
We treat automatically collected information as personal information if We combine it with, or link it to any of the personally identifiable information mentioned above - otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
IP addresses may be linked to personally identifiable information You have provided, or later provide, during a visit to one of the Sites. In addition, a third-party service is used to anonymously track traffic data on the Site through the use of a cookie that is not linked to, and does not track, any personally identifiable information about users of Our Site.
We may also collect information using Web beacons. Web beacons, or "gifs," are electronic images that may be used on Our Site or in Our emails. We use Web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
Where we store personal information
The data that We collect from You may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for Us or for one of Our suppliers or group companies. Such staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of Your order, the processing of Your payment details and the provision of support services. By submitting Your personal data, You agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take reasonably necessary steps to ensure that Your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy.
All information You provide to Us comes through to Our secure servers. Where We have given You (or where You have chosen) a username and/or password which enables You to access certain parts of Our Site, You are responsible for keeping this username and/or password confidential. We ask You not to share a username and/or password with anyone.
How We Use Personal Information
In general We use information held about You in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from Our Site is presented in the most effective manner for You and for Your computer.
- To deliver products or provide services You have purchased, to send You information about Our products or services via email and postal mail, to improve Our products and services, and to develop new products and services.
- To process any competition that You participate in.
- To carry out Our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between You and Us.
- To allow You to participate in interactive features of Our service, when You choose to do so.
- To notify You about changes to Our service.
- For law enforcement reasons.
Where You have consented when providing Us with Your details, We may also allow other companies in Our group (some of which may in the future be located outside the European Economic Area) to contact You occasionally about products and services which may be of interest to You. They may contact You by e-mail. If You change Your mind about being contacted by these companies in the future, please let Us know by emailing us at email@example.com.
We may also receive personal information from third parties with whom We have business relationships, and may combine this information with the other personal information We maintain about You. If We do so, this Policy governs such information.
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to Our advertisers (if any), but We may provide them with aggregate information about Our users (for example, We may inform them that 5000 women aged under 40 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, men in WA1). We may make use of the personal data We have collected from You to enable Us to comply with Our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
Sharing of Personal Information
We do not sell, rent, or share personal information with third parties without Your prior consent except as described in this Policy.
We may disclose Your personal information to any member of Our group, which means Our parent undertakings and any subsidiary undertakings of those parent undertakings (as respectively defined by section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006).
We may disclose Your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that We sell or buy any business or assets, in which case We may disclose Your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Law Plain And Simple Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If We carry out any re-financing or reorganisation of Our banking or credit facilities, in which case We may disclose information about Our customers, members and sales.
- If third-party vendors and distribution partners are going to (or are considering to) assist Us in performing internal functions necessary to operate Our business. Some of these third parties may be located outside the European Economic Area. These functions may include, for example, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing requested corporate and/or product information.
In all cases We limit personal information shared with Our third-party vendors to information, which is necessary to carry out those functions, and We require them to keep the information confidential and to only use it for the purpose for which it was provided. We are not responsible for any additional information You provide to these third parties, however, and We encourage You to become familiar with their practices before disclosing information directly to them.
Links to Other Web Sites
Use of Our Sites by Children
We do not intend, and the Site is not designed, to collect information from children who are under 18 years of age. If You are under 18, You should not provide information on the Site.
We use some security measures in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and alteration of information while it is under Our control. However, since the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure, We cannot, guarantee protection of any information against interception, misappropriation, misuse, or alteration, or that Your information may be not be disclosed or accessed by accidental circumstances or by the unauthorised acts of others.
If You choose to transmit information to Us over the Internet, directly or indirectly by accessing and using the Site or otherwise, You do so at Your own risk.
Furthermore, We have no control over the security of other websites You might visit, interact with, or do business with or through. You should familiarise Yourself with the terms and conditions and privacy policies that apply for those websites.
Consent & Choice
By accessing and using the Site (and/or by providing personal information on the Site) You hereby consent, and will be treated as consenting, to the use and other processing of the information and data provided by You, in the manner and for the purposes specified in this Policy (to include, without limitation, for solicited and/or unsolicited marketing purposes by telephone, email or post or any combination of the same).
You have the right to ask Us not to process Your personal information We intend to use Your data for such purposes or if We intend to disclose Your information to any third party for such purposes.
You can exercise Your right to prevent such processing by checking/un-checking certain boxes on the forms We use to collect Your personal information. Alternatively, please follow the Unsubscribe instructions contained in the communication from Us, or use the contact form. If You wish to access, modify or delete Your personal information that You have provided to Us, or to opt-out of receiving communications from Us via mail, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accessing and Updating
You are entitled to see the information held about You and You may ask Us to make any necessary changes to ensure that it is accurate and kept up to date. If You wish to do this, please email us at email@example.com or contact us by post. We are entitled by law to charge a fee of £10 to meet Our costs in providing You with details of the information We hold about You.
We encourage You to review Our Policy each time You visit the Site to make sure You understand how information You provide will be used.
Calls may be recorded to verify content and may be used together with Your customer records or Your member records for regulatory compliance, quality control and staff training, preventing or detecting criminal activity and for complaint resolution.
Your Comments or Concerns